Archive for August, 2007
Earlier, my AdSense ads were hardcoded into my WP template files. But now I want to experiment with other ads. I need to rotate the ads often, and the old solution isn’t satisfactory. Here is a short list of the requirements:
Python has a quite decent internal support of unicode. But sometimes it’s hard to find how to exploit the support.
I’ve lost some time solving a simple problem:
* A program reads a file, which is in the iso-8859-1 encoding.
* The text is converted to Unicode
* At some moment, program detects that some strings are actually were in windows-1251 encoding
* The task: how to re-interpret the string?
The only solution I found is hacky:
The best place to analyze log files is the local computer, not the server:
1) Log files grow fast, taking all the server space
2) Queries might be CPU-intensite
If you like me, you prefer that the log files appear on the local computer automatically.
There might be a delay between the first visit and the desired action (subscirbing to RSS, purchasing software, etc). An usual web site log often isn’t enough to match the former and the latter. The webmaster needs cookies.
There is a lot of software to display statistics of a web site. But all that tables and graphics are of no use for me. I just don’t know what to do with this data. After some thinking, I realized what I really need:
I’ve decided to get money from my sites. No, I don’t desperately need money. Actually, what I want to fix is the following. I see that my resources can bring some wealth, but currently they are wasted. Too bad.
The main source of income are