Archive for January, 2011

tracing libc calls with dtrace

Wednesday, January 26th, 2011

In order to find if I can affect a program through environment variables, I decided to trace all getenv calls and see if there is something interesting. Easy to said, harder to make. Fortunately, it is possible.

(more…)

\AddFontFeature in plain XeTeX

Tuesday, January 18th, 2011

XeLaTeX package “fontspec” provides an useful command “AddFontFeature” to add an effect to the curently selected font. Unfortunately, it works only if fontspec is used. Otherwise, a workaround is required. So far here is a draft to make text narrow:

(more…)

Solved: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

Tuesday, January 18th, 2011

At some moment, my USB WLAN stick stopped working, and the log was polluted by messages like:

usb 6-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 62
hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

At first, I decided that the stick had broken after years of work, but out of curiousity tried to connect it to every USB port I found. It worked. The stick worked again when plugged into the keyboard, which in term was connected to the KVM.

(more…)

PDF external streams are not supported

Monday, January 17th, 2011

Theoretically, a part of a PDF file is allowed to be stored externally. The “external streams” were introduced already in an ancient PDF specification. But only Acrobat (Reader) 5 supports it. For Acrobat 8, one has to find a hidden security option to activate support. Apple Quartz seems not to support external streams at all. The same for poppler (definitely, the source code is checked) and maybe its ancestor xpdf.