I wanted to retire a WordPress-based site, converting everything to static HTML. My first idea was to mirror the site with wget (or any other web downloader), but I decided to search if a better solution was available. Not found, but instead a ready wget recipe was found: How to retire a WordPress blog (make WordPress a static site). My addition:
Archive for the ‘blogging’ Category
WordPress plugin “Subscribe to Comments 2.1” allows readers to receive notifications of new comments that are posted to an entry. I think it improves usability and encourages commenting.
Trackbacks have built the blogosphere. The automatic backlinking was a great idea. The both parties — the original and the linking blogger — were making benefit out of a trackback link.
Unfortunately, the trackbacks are extremely vulnerable to spamming. Indeed, trackbacks must work without human intervention (by design). Automatic filters doesn’t work well for blogs. And adding manual force breaks the design of trackbacks.
Fortunately, there is a simple solution.
I tried to setup a new wordpress blog. To my unpleasant surprise, I got a problem with cyrillic letters. They just didn’t work, being displayed as junk or as question marks. I spent some time to find out how to correctly setup WordPress for the utf8 environment. Actually, it’s very easy:
Some time ago I discovered that the WordPress blog sidebar can be
* completely dynamic and
* configured through the admin interface.
It’s very convenient, and I switched to the dynamic sidebar. Or, in another words, started to use widgets. Unfortunately, one important plugin, WPAds doesn’t support widgeting. Here is how to fix the issue:
My antispam blog passed 25+ posts, it was enough introduce the categories. But when I started to categorize the posts, I stuck with it. After inventing four topics, I had no more ideas. I though I’m not alone in such trouble, searched in Internet for advices what to do.
The best I found is “Blog Post Category Trauma: How To Help Bloggers With Useless Categories“. Unfortunately, this text explans only that bloggers have to have good categories, but doesn’t explain how to achieve this goal.
Finally, I invented an ultimate method. Inventing categories and tags (labels) is no more a problem.
Earlier, my AdSense ads were hardcoded into my WP template files. But now I want to experiment with other ads. I need to rotate the ads often, and the old solution isn’t satisfactory. Here is a short list of the requirements:
The best place to analyze log files is the local computer, not the server:
1) Log files grow fast, taking all the server space
2) Queries might be CPU-intensite
If you like me, you prefer that the log files appear on the local computer automatically.
There might be a delay between the first visit and the desired action (subscirbing to RSS, purchasing software, etc). An usual web site log often isn’t enough to match the former and the latter. The webmaster needs cookies.
There is a lot of software to display statistics of a web site. But all that tables and graphics are of no use for me. I just don’t know what to do with this data. After some thinking, I realized what I really need:
I’ve decided to get money from my sites. No, I don’t desperately need money. Actually, what I want to fix is the following. I see that my resources can bring some wealth, but currently they are wasted. Too bad.
The main source of income are
From “Poor Man’s Trackback“:
$ curl -d url=[my entry's URL] [trackback URL]
You can also specify the title, excerpt, and blog_name using additional -d parameters.
All blogging tips recommend to have the full RSS feeds. To my unpleasant surprise, I found that my feeds are partial, disrespecting the option “Full text” is set. The explanation is simple.
Installation instructions of many WordPress plugin contains recommendation to add something like this to a theme:
<?php tla_ads(); ?>
Actually, the Right Way is:
Recently I started a new blog “Spam Bots and CAPTCHAs” (will be announced later). I plan to have many authors on this blog, therefore I disliked that the blog postings were not annotated by the author names. After some investigations, I found that it was the default WordPress behaviour. The fix was simple.
I’ve upgraded wordpress to the version 2.1. It wasn’t very easy because the authors have broken incompatibility with older versions, therefore my tweaked theme stopped working. I hope I repaired everything. Also, I temporary switched off spam protection to see how active are the spammers now.
WordPress blog engine automatically adds typography to postings. For example, it changes two dashes to the long dash, changes the usual quotes to different sorts of quotes. And yes, code listings are affected.