Archive for the ‘linux’ Category
I’ve tried to install a TeX package and got the error message:
tlmgr: The TeX Live versions supported by the repository http://ftp.fernuni-hagen.de/ftp-dir/pub/mirrors/www.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet (2014--2014) do not include the version of the local installation (2013)
By me, vmware doesn’t start without twicks. A normal rum produces something like:
process 3954: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb6ad0690 user data 0xb7896048, but no such filter has been added
D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
In my case the solution is to start HAL daemon before running vmware.
My sequence to grab audiobooks from a cd to hear later on a mp3 player. Grab as mp3:
abcde -o mp3
Each kernel upgrade causes a pain with vmware. This time (3.7.5 with PAE option) is not an exception. However, only two manual interventions were required to compile vmware kernel modules.
The server with the subversion repository has crashed. Repair takes a few days. How to work during repair? Git isn’t a solution, because man had to switch before the disaster, not after.
My answer is: temporary switch to RCS.
I prefer to use TeX from TeXlive distribution, not the default TeX bundled with an operating system. The problem is that rpm and apt tools check dependencies and insist on installing the wrong TeX. To trick the system, a fake package should be made and installed.
Sometimes vmware makes something very wrong, and X server do not understand the keys CTRL, ALT, SHIFT and similar anymore. Solution: “setxkbmap” without any arguments.
After some system update, vmware stopped working. It wrote some information which modules are loaded, and then silently exited. In a log file “ui-NNNN.log”, I found: “vmui| Caught signal 11”. The stacktrace said only that the crash was likely due to some signal.
I’ve got PostScript files, which does look ok on the screen, but badly printed on Lexamark E232. The letters collide each with other, seems like instead of Helvetica some monospace font is substituted.
At some moment, my USB WLAN stick stopped working, and the log was polluted by messages like:
usb 6-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 62 hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1 hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
At first, I decided that the stick had broken after years of work, but out of curiousity tried to connect it to every USB port I found. It worked. The stick worked again when plugged into the keyboard, which in term was connected to the KVM.
I hoped that eSATA interface allows to attach and detach HDDs to Linux on the fly, and the system would notice the changes automatically. The reality was quote apposite, the system hung during experiments. Finally, after scanning internet knowledge, and trying to get commands like atacontrol or scsiadd working, I found the command for manual swap.
Yes, one installs and configures Samba. All I need is to access a big folder in the read-only mode. The quick and dirty solution is:
After a small system upgrade an application started to crash with the message:
*** glibc detected *** sylpheed: double free or corruption (out): 0x0839e818 ***
The right thing is to trace the application and submit a bug report to the author, but I found a fast workaround. Set an environment variable before running the program:
ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. The system can forward ALSA sound to PulseAudio.
PulseAudio is a sound server. Applications feed music to PulseAudio, and PulseAudio decides what to do with it. For example, it can send the sound over network.
When I tried to use this feature for the first time, I failed. Therefore, I experimented with a more user friendly software (see multimedia over network I, and the second attempt was successful.
I want to:
* run a program on a work PC, and
* see and hear it in action on a leisure PC.
The first attempt is failed, therefore I started to search for a solution using the step-by-step approach. The first step is to make sure that multimedia over networks works at all.
I always used vim (for example, “Ctrl-K” “:” “u” for “ü”), but now I found a way to input such characters into any application, using the core feature of X11/xorg. The explanation and the table are here: “ISO-8859-1 compose keystrokes in Linux” (thanks Andrew Daviel).
Reminder for myself: on my system, it’s enough to add “compose:ralt” to the option “XkbOptions” in “xorg.conf” and use “Alt Gr” key.